Tuesday, March 8, 2011

THE Job Search

When I got to college I was convinced that I hated math and science and loved philosophy and politics. Halfway through school, I felt smug looking at statistics showing entry level geologists making $75,000 right out of school. Then, luckily for B__, just in time for him to write about in his senior thesis, the economy went to hell and everyone but the bankers were shocked. Resource prices plummeted, then became inconsistent, the construction industry followed the housing market down the toilet, and professional geologists with masters degrees found it hard to find a decent, steady job. And I had $50,000+ in student loans. You know, the "good" kind of debt. (grimace)

Yikes. I still thought that I was sitting pretty. I had published my thesis abstract, as well as conducted research and written the thesis itself. I had worked for Colorado's Division of Mining, Reclamation and Safety for several summers while in high school. Surely I wouldn't look like every other resume employers received from freshly degreed children. And luckily I didn't. I got an internship, through the connection of my dad, working for an international aggregate and concrete company...in Colorado. And although I didn't ever plan on living in Colorado ever again,. I moved home. Literally, moved back into my old room and commuted 2 hours a day to a job that I never really liked. Its nice to be able to admit that now. I had an amazing boss though, and that made it worthwhile.

Again, I thought I had it made. The fear of not being able to make my student loan payments made me think that if I just made a good enough impression during my internship, that probably, I would get a job offer at the end. And while surface sand and gravel mining and production didn't make me wild, having a steady job did. My paranoia and boredom worked to fuel my search for a job that I actually liked, using my degree. I spent 30 minutes to 3 hours each day looking at postings and writing cover letters for jobs all over the country, for local governments, the government, mining companies, consulting companies, environmental agencies...About six months into this process I created form letters which I modified as needed for various positions. I created a cut and paste work history form for ease in filling out online applications. I became more disgruntled with every "amazing" position I never even got a form rejection for. My internship ended without a job offer, and without the possibility of collecting unemployment.

For the last 2-3 months of my internship I had begun applying for "shit jobs." My term for jobs which were boring and low paying. I applied to nanny, to work in a call center (managed one for 2 years in college), to hostess and waitress, to barista, with temp agencies, chains, non-profits. At best I got an interview where they told me I was overqualified, or that I didn't have enough barista experience, etc. I just kept thinking after each rejection, but I'm here, on time, nicely dressed, making eye contact telling you that I want the job and can perform it well, and I can't even get a job at Starbucks? Sheesh.

A month of earnest job searching, after my internship ended, and I landed a job working as a house cleaner for Boulder's affluent. I was relieved to have a job, even if it was hourly, at minimum wage. The real kicker, I had to tell them I was going to go back to school and just wanted to take a year off to convince them to hire me.

I am generally a happy person. But my employment situation bummed me out so much that it began to affect the way I viewed the world. "Employment Depression." To be certain of your ability to perform, and to not be given a chance to show or prove that is the strangest experience. To have paid so much money to learn and learn to love what you do, and then not be able to do it, it will mess with a person.

When I was at rock bottom, ready to leave the man I love and run away to a different state. I got a job offer. In my field. And just like that my faith in the universe began to recover. Two weeks in and I love waking up every morning to go to an office/lab where I am surrounded by fellow geologists. Where I fit right in, without even trying. Since accepting this job I have received calls about two other positions, in my field. Maybe the talking heads are right and the economy is improving.

I feel like this long self therapy session should conclude with some kind of lesson. Sorry folks I don't have one. Maybe the lesson is to not give up? Or perhaps the message is that there should never be one part of your life that is so consuming it controls your happiness completely.

I'll update this more frequently, and I promise future posts will not be so long or self involved, well, at least not as long.
Upcoming topics include:
Entering the Mid 20's: Its all good now
6 Months in Boulder
Cohabitating...w/a lover

Peace out.
Pinky

No comments:

Post a Comment